[mythtv-users] new myth hardware

William wmunson at rochester.rr.com
Tue Dec 20 16:39:59 EST 2005

> My questions are the following:
>
> - I would like to watch live TV so I am considering getting a
> dual tuner card that is well supported by MythTV and has a
> hardware encoder/decoder. I am considering the PVR 500. Do
> you have comments/suggestions?

A couple of other things to consider. First, unless your dish outputs two
streams at the same time you are going to need 2 dish receivers. The 2nd
point is controlling your receivers. I dont think that there are any dish
receivers that have serial port control so you are going to need a IR
blaster device or two. The big issue with remote control on dish is that
they use an odd frequency (56KHz vs 48KHz) which makes things interesting.
If you do some searching of the archives you will see that about the only
commmercial solution that works well is a device called "MyBlaster serial".
I forget the url of the place that sells them but you can get the linux
driver for it at myblaster.sourceforge.net That also is in the archives.

I have a 2 receiver dishnetwork setup here if you want to pick my brain
about it.