[mythtv-users] Reduce size of DVB-T recordings

Nick Craig-Wood nick at craig-wood.com
Tue Dec 20 17:39:15 EST 2005

On Mon, Dec 19, 2005 at 12:14:31AM +1100, Phill Edwards wrote:
> I want to burn some of my DVB-T recordings to DVD (like the other
> poster today) but my question is different. This weekend I recorded a
> film which is > 9.5GB. I want to take that file (which, being DVB, is
> MPEG2) and reduce it to a MPEG2 file of around 4GB so I can make a
> 4.7GB DVD out of it after cutting out the ads etc in ProjectX.
>
> Does anyone know a tool that's good for just reducing the filesize? I
> don't need it to do anything else.

You can use requant (aka m2vrequant).  You'll need to demux it first
(project X does this fine) then you can requant the .m2v.

Requant works by adjusting the quantisation levels in the encoded
video to shrink it down a bit.  It doesn't re-encode the video.  It
works really well if your video is only a bit too big (say 10 or 20%),
but it sounds like your video is 100% too big which might be too much
for it.

If I had a 9 GB recording from DVB I'd put it onto two DVDs ;-)