[mythtv-users] basic ota hdtv questions

joe byrne mythjoe at gmail.com
Thu Dec 22 03:02:35 EST 2005

I just installed an air2pc card (the version with the bcm3510) to
record atsc OTA.  It coexists with an ivtv card and a bttv card, which
both record OTA.  Yes, I like variety.  I'm running mythtv 18.1
installed from rpms on FC4 with  a 2.6.14 kernel. I'm in the US and
use zap2it.

I have some really basic questions:
* Do I need a second zap2it line-up for the ota-hdtv input?
* Some of the digital channels duplicate analog channels.  Is there a
way to equate the two?  E.g., I have an analog channel 7 and a digital
channel with the same programming.
* Is there a way to equate zap2it digital channels with the underscore
(e.g. 7_1) with the channels added by scanning w/o the underscore
(e.g. 71)?
* Some of the digital channel numbers duplicate analog channel
numbers, but carry different programming.  E.g., I have a digital
channel 11 (identified by scanning) and an analog channel 11 that seem
to be completely unrelated.  Will this cause a problem?
* I plan to transcode recorded digital programs. Will digital programs
in both 16:9 and 4:3 aspect ratios come out looking right given a
single set of transcode parameters? Likewise, will interlaced and
noninterlaced content get transcoded to something that looks OK.
Right now, straight off the air one of the two looks pretty cruddy
when watching live tv.

JB