[mythtv-users] V-Chip decoding WAS: Commercial Flagging, what are the best

Kevin Kuphal kuphal at dls.net
Fri Dec 23 12:50:00 EST 2005

David Rudder wrote:

> This is a pretty off-the-wall suggestion.  Is there anyway to detect
> V-Chip signals?  I know within the US, all broadcast and cable shows
> have a V-Chip signal, but it's turned off during commercials.  This
> would be a 100% reliable way of detecting commercials, but I have no
> clue whether the signal could be picked up by myth.
>
> I would be ironic to have something good come out of V-Chip, eh?

I've modified my Myth source to decode the V-Chip XDS information and I
can say that this assumption appears to not be true.  It looks like the
rating (say: TV-PG for a Discovery Channel show) remains the same
through the entire recording.  I've also looked to see if the Program
Type code exists and, at least for me, doesn't as this might also be an
indicator that changes with the content (there is a code for Advertisement).

I'll probably post this stuff as a patch to SVN soon just so that the
framework for XDS decoding is in place but it doesn't, at least on my
provider, appear to be useful.  It would be interesting to see if others
see the same results from different cable and broadcast providers.

Kevin

--
Looking for affordable webhosting?  http://www.sitecity.net