[mythtv-users] 2005 MCE REMOTE

Robin Gilks g8ecj at gilks.org
Fri Dec 23 23:34:44 EST 2005

> Now, I have everything installed and working great. except the remote in
> MythTV.  When I run /usr/bin/irw I get the output I can see the remote is
> working.  An lsmod shows the the remote drivers are loaded.  I have a
> .lircrc file in the user's home dir and in the /users/homedir/.mythtv dir.
> I copied the lircrc file from examples online.  Lircd is running as well.
>

> Am I missing something?  Do I need to configure something in MythTV to get
> it to use the remote?  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Using the strings that get displayed when using irw as a reference (they
are defined by the /etc/lircd.conf file), make sure that your lircrc file
has matching strings for each of the buttons and that each of the entries
in the file are of the form:

begin
    prog = mythtv
    button = Right
    repeat = 2
    config = Right
end

begin
    prog = mythtv
    button = Down
    repeat = 2
    config = Down
end

i.e. make sure that the 'prog' line says mythtv (otherwise it won't get
the command), the 'button' line is what comes from /etc/lircd.conf (as
displayed by irw) and the 'config' like is what mythtv expects (see
http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-11.html#ss11.1)

The 'repeat' line (and others you may come across) are all documented in
the lirc docs.

Note that you can extend the file with commands for mplayer (for videos)
and xine (for DVD playing) or even to run programs that know nothing of
lirc at all (and comments start with a '#') - I have the power button on
my remote mapped...

# Mute
begin
    prog = mplayer