[mythtv-users] Recording HD content from a Comcast/Dish/DTV box

Alex Malinovich demonbane at the-love-shack.net
Mon Dec 26 17:47:21 EST 2005

Apologies in advance if this is an often-asked question.

I'm looking at setting up a MythTV box to replace the pathetic excuse
for a PVR that Comcast provides with their HDTV tuner.

I know that there are HDTV cards out there which can receive an OTA HDTV
signal, but what about when the HDTV signal is from a cable box? Is it
possible to run the DVI or component output from the cable box into a
MythTV box, and then from the MythTV box to the TV using DVI/component?

I've been researching all things MythTV for the last two days but I
haven't found anything addressing this particular setup. I've found a
few posts mentioning that you can't run a digital cable signal straight
into a tuner card, but nothing addressing whether you can use the HD
output from the cable box as an HD input on the MythTV box.

TIA for any help.

--
Alex Malinovich
pgp.net keyservers. Key ID: A6D24837