[mythtv-users] DCT-6200 Firewire issue User Database

Curtis Stanford curtis at stanfordcomputing.com
Tue Dec 27 21:05:30 EST 2005

For all you firewire users out there, I got a message from a guy on
the linux1394.org mailing list that made all the difference for me.
My firewire setup has been stable for a week now without missing any
recordings. The message includes a couple of kernel patches
specifically for DCT-6200 boxes that seem to help stabilize things a
bit. The message follows. It was in response to my question about
problems with my DCT-6200 and via firewire chipset, specifically a
problem with the node changing on me sporadically:

This is probably the same issue as seen with this DCT6200 here:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux1394-devel&m=113444562824848

Save this patch somewhere:
http://www.kernel.org/git/?p=linux/kernel/git/scjody/
ieee1394.git;a=commitdiff_plain;h=14c0fa243b358c24040ff5f44b60c47aaf6430
c3
Then change into the linux-2.6.14.2 directory and apply the patch
with "patch -l -p1 < /path_where_you_saved/the_patch_file". Then edit
linux-2.6.14.2/drivers/nodemgr.c like mentioned in the posting at
linux1394-devel, recompile, reinstall, and reload the driver modules.

The patch and modification do not prevent the node from disappearing
temporarily, but it might help to bring it back more quickly. I
assume the actual cause of the disappearances is an issue of signal
tolerances of the card's and DCT6200's physical interface chips.
--
Stefan Richter