[mythtv-users] Pvr-500 or Plextor ConvertX, reliability.

Abre Chase abre.chase at gmail.com
Wed Dec 28 14:25:13 EST 2005

I can't speak for the PVR-500.  But, I just traded out my Plextor for
a PVR-150.  The MPEG4 format was more trouble than it was worth for
me.  I could not get it to play on the xbmcmythtv front end - even
with the patched mplayer.  I also had some performance problems on my
machine because its fairly low end - just didn't have the horses to do
MPEG4 very well.

The Plextor had good driver support from the chipmaker (WIS) through
the DIVX device forums, but all the devices features aren't available
in MythTV.  You're must use MPEG4 although the device can also do
MPEG2.  The Plextor/MythTV integration also did not support changing
the audio/video bitrates very well.

It seems like there are a lot more people using the PVR150/250/500.
Because of the popularity, you get more of the card's features built
in MythTV and better support from the community.

That was my experience in a nutshell.

- Abre