[mythtv-users] Re: Xbox Remote Replacement with JP1 Remote: really a lircd.conf or irrecord question

R. Geoffrey Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Wed Dec 28 15:14:03 EST 2005

The documentation on the lirc site is not as crystal clear as it could be
or should be.

1)	Your module has to match the IR receiving hardware. In my case I
use the lirc_imon module. The remote is handled later on. The module name
is not the remote name.
2)	You need to compile using the correct module. Look at the
configure file in the top of the imon source tree.
3)	You need to load the lirc_dev and your particular module  (in my
case, lirc_imon.)
	You can use rmmod and modprobe while testing, then put them into
modprobe.conf.
4)	Lircd needs an lirc.conf file which matches the remote (NOT the
ir receiver).
	Mode2 does not need an lircd.conf file: it just pulls the IR data
and pushes it to the screen. If you want extra functionality from a remote
which is masquerading as a different remote, then the output of mode2
should show you the key code outputs for the extra keys.
5)	An lircd.conf file is a matchup listing of the key codes and key
names.
6)	Lircd only works with a corresponding lircd.conf file...the key
codes have to match. Unmatched key codes get ignored.
7)	irw allows you to test the lircd daemon without having an
lircd.conf (Next step up from mode2).
8)	irrecord is a program to create an lircd.conf. You push a key
and name it, and it lines up key codes with that name.
9)	lircd must be running for both irw and irrecord to work.
Finally, if you are passing commands to other programs, then you require a
lircrc file (or .lircrc file). This file must have key names which exactly
match the key names used in the lircd.conf file. The lircrc file lists the
program, and action to be taken for that named key.

Problem areas are:
Your hardware talks to /dev/lirc/0 instead to /dev/lirc. Make a symlink.
Permissions are messed up. Add "GROUP=MYTHTV" "MODE=666" to the correct
line in /etc/udev/rules.d or write a "10-lirc.rules" file.
Your lircd.conf file is not the correct file for your remote. Use mode2 to
look at the actual output of the remote. Browse the remote files to find
the correct one, or use irrecord to write your own.
lircd.conf and lircrc do not match up. Rewrite lircrc

HTH

Geoff