[mythtv-users] pvr-350 Live Tv Audio to remote frontend Question

Jeff Simpson jeffsimpson at alum.wpi.edu
Thu Dec 29 16:38:29 EST 2005

On 12/29/05, Jim Duda <jim at duda.tzo.com> wrote:

> I'm currently an avid Freevo user.  I just installed MythTV yesterday and
> started playing with it.  Mythtv is very impressive.
>
> I have mythbackend running on one linux box, with a PVR-350 tuner card.  I
> have mythfrontend installed and running on multiple linux boxes.  I can
> view and hear mpeg videos on all the frontend boxes.  For live TV, I can
> see the video, but I cannot hear the audio.
>
> I've read the mailing list and found a couple of postings on this topic.
> It's my understanding that the livetv audio from a Pvr-350 is exported out
> of the rear audio jack and not through the PCI bus like it would with the
> mpeg stream.  Connecting the PVR-350 audio output back into a sound card
> input would allow a mythfrontend to hear audio, however, only on the box
> which contains the pvr-350 tuner.  This doesn't help any remote frontend
> boxes.

Not entirely correct. The PVR-350 takes audio in and saves it with the MPEG
automatically. If you want to output to TV, you can use the audio out of the
PVR as well. The loopback audio cable is just to allow that machine to play
other audio sources to the TV (mythmusic, mythgame, etc, things that require
/dev/dsp). So in the case of remotely playing liveTV, you should not need to
use that loopback.

Is there any means to get the audio from a pvr-350 in a mythbackend to the
> mythfrontend on another machine?  Are there any plans to address this in
> future releases?

I have 0.18.1 running on my backend/frontend machine with a 350 as well as a
frontend only on my laptop, and audio works in all cases, live and recorded.
You say that it can play mpeg videos on the back/frontends - do you mean
other mpeg videos, or the ones that are recorded by myth?

I'd also take a look at the frontend logs and setup to make sure the audio
is set up properly. Additionally, check to see that the mpegs do contain the
audio - you should be able to just play the .nuv files with a fairly recent
version of mplayer on any linux machine.

> In my freevo environment, I handle the remote livetv issue using mpeg
> streaming from videolan (www.videolan.org).  It works okay, however,
> mythtv appears much nicer and more integrated, albiet, no audio from a
> pvr-350.  I'd really like to get this working an give mythtv a shot at
> replacing freevo.

That's the same way myth handles remote frontends, by streaming the mpeg.
Alternatively, you can also remote-mount the fs and play them that way, but
streaming is easy enough and works.

A likely thing to try is in the remote frontend setup, where it says "Use
PVR-350 Output" you want to say NO. That option is only for the machine with
the PVR in it - using that option on another machine will make the video and
audio try to play through the 350, which won't be there, and won't work. You
should set it up to use /dev/dsp or whatever the equivalent device is for
your system.