[mythtv-users] ssh attack

Chad masterclc at gmail.com
Thu Dec 29 21:55:20 EST 2005

On 12/29/05, Matt Harris <hdinfo at nc.rr.com> wrote:
> This of course won't happen behind a properly configured firewall, correct?
>
> Darren Hart wrote:
>
> > I'm sure nobody here is dumb enough to do this, but since I was,
> > thought I'd pass the word.
> >
> > There is an ssh attack going around with a brute force login using
> > 2187 different username/password pairs, one such pair happens to be:
> >
> > mythtv:mythtv

MythTV shouldn't be on the external network anyway, IMHO.  I grab my
listings on a seperate box that is directly connected, it also hosts
my mysql db for myth, but myth isn't directly connected (it's actually
completely blocked when I do a port scan, and I've got un-necessary
services shut off/uninstalled).

Security can't be a sometimes thing, otherwise you end up a 45 year
old billionaire.

Chad