[mythtv-users] digital input (spdif)

Craig Tinson craig at 8010.co.uk
Fri Dec 30 00:28:09 EST 2005

ok guys - I need some help

I've just spent the last 5 or so hours looking over mailing list posts,
alsa docs, searching google and various other docs I came across along
the way - have even asked in myth irc channel but no one seems to know
either

today I've split my backend from my frontend and am wanting to use the
optical in on the cmedia card thats in there.

if I do this: "arecord -D hw:0,2 -fdat -d 5 > /video/sample.wav" on the
backend - it records 5 seconds of wonderfully sounding audio from my sat
box.

but it isn't recording sound through mythbackend! and therefore isn't
playing on the frontend (this is tested - that 5 sec clip plays through
aplay on the frontend and on my windows box)

how do I get hw:0,2 as the default input in mythbackend?

I've tried various .asoundrc (including the one from digitalsoundhowto
on mythtv.info) files.

thanks for your help

Craig