[mythtv-users] Samba 3 better than NFS 3 for recording over Ethernet

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Fri Dec 30 14:06:42 EST 2005

On Dec 29, 2005, at 12:33 PM, Yeechang Lee wrote:

> Brad DerManouelian <myth at dermanouelian.com> says:
>> Yeechang, what kind of drives are in your RAID 5? ATA-133? 7200
>> RPM?  =
>> 8MB Cache?
>
> They are Seagate Barracuda.8 400GB PATA drives (I got a fantastic
> price on 'em a year ago, the month after their debut). Not far from
> the state of the art for drives even today, and needless to say each
> with 7200RPM and 8MB cache.

Then you're right. You should be getting MUCH better performance out
of these drives. I'm still sticking to my guns that RAID 5 is one of
the slowest RAID choices. :) It's just a simple fact.

Are you sure you don't have a drive failure? RAID 5 will continue on
normally but your speed will sink fast if a drive fails.