[mythtv-users] I'm getting TV-Out Flicker

Jim Duda jim at duda.tzo.com
Sat Dec 31 17:02:51 EST 2005

I have a box which I use to run freevo.  Fedora-core 4 running a 2.6.14
kernel.  Freevo works fine.  I've been playing with Mythtv because it's
so sexy looking and I'm thinking about switching.  I'm using the SIS
driver (sis_drv.o).

When I play videos from freevo, using mplayer, or xine, the videos play
just fine using the XV video overlay.  I can play them from within
freevo or outside freevo and the video is clear.

However, when I'm not running freevo on the box, the videos from mplayer
introduce flicker on the tv-out display..

mplayer -fs -vo xv -ao oss <somefile>.mpg; created by pvr-350 with ivtv
drivers.

I only get flicker when:

a) I use the -fs option
b) freevo is not running

If I run mplayer -fs when freevo is not running, I get flicker.

So, it appears that freevo does something to X? or the video driver (I'm
using sis_drv.o) to resolve the flicker on the tv-out?

Does anyone have any ideas which might explain the flicker?  I realize
that "flicker" is hard to describe.

I'm not able to cut-over to mythtv until I figure out the flicker issue.

Jim