[mythtv-users] Adding a slave to existing MBE

John Andersen jsamyth at gmail.com
Sat Dec 31 20:33:09 EST 2005

On 12/31/05, A JM <vbtalent at gmail.com> wrote:
> I would like to add a slave to my master backend how do I do this? Do I do a
> full install of Myth and is there a checkbox somewhere that tells the master
> there is now a slave?
>
> Does anyone have a quick how-to?
>
>  My master has a tuner and my slave will have 2 tuners. Do I need to create
> a NFS share or should I use the slaves hard drive or, etc...
>
> Thanks for any insight you can give.
>
> AJM,

I'm pretty sure this is in the docs on the myth site, because
I just did the same thing a couple months ago.

You only  need to install the backend on the slave if you will never
watch tv/recordings there.  Otherwise install both front and
backends on the slave.

Don't install mysql on the slave.

In the slave config, point it at the MBE for its mysql
settings.  And do use REAL IPs or resolvable names
where myth calls for these, don't let them default.

Once you do this, the process of setting up the back
end will put information into the mysql database on
the master so that it will know about the slave.

Therefore, you never have to make changes on the
master to add a back end, but CHECK those IP
numbers anyway.  That tripped me up, as well
as others.