[mythtv-users] Stale NFS file handle

Will Dormann wd at pobox.com
Sun Feb 27 16:16:06 UTC 2005

Alan Anderson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> A stale file handle occurs when the file handle cached by the nfs client is no
> longer valid on the nfs server.   Something happened to the file it was
> deleted moved to another file system or the NFS server was restarted.  The
> only way out is to umount the file system on the nfs client and then mount it
> again.  This should flush any cached file handles on the client.  Then the
> client will get a new file handle from the nfs server that should be valid.

Thanks for the info.

I think I have found a correlation with the mythbackend hanging and the
fileserver.   On the fileserver, I have occasionally seen log lines like
this:

Feb 23 21:22:54 [kernel] eth0: link down
Feb 23 21:23:02 [kernel] eth0: link up, 100Mbps, full-duplex, lpa 0x45E1
Feb 23 21:24:51 [kernel] eth0: link down
Feb 23 21:24:53 [kernel] eth0: link up, 100Mbps, full-duplex, lpa 0x45E1
Feb 23 21:32:18 [kernel] eth0: link down
Feb 23 21:32:22 [kernel] eth0: link up, 100Mbps, full-duplex, lpa 0x45E1

It appears that under load, the Realtek 8139 (junk from what I hear)
card doesn't fare so well?     I've just replaced the NIC with an
eepro100, so we'll see how that works out.

What's curious is that I have seen the "link down" error messages on the
NAS in the past, but it only seems that with MythTV 0.17 it makes a
difference.   Also, I wonder which is better to use or possibly more
robust...   NFS or SMB.

Thanks again.
--
-WD