[mythtv-users] where does mysql.txt go?

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Sun Feb 27 18:53:35 UTC 2005

On Sunday 27 February 2005 08:07, sean darcy wrote:
> I've used atrpms to install. mysql.txt appears twice:
>
> locate mysql.txt
> /.mythtv/mysql.txt
> /home/mythtv/.mythtv/mysql.txt

I have 3 of them. The two locations you mentioned at /root/.mythtv/mysql.txt.

> .mythtv under the root directory look fishy. Is this where it should be?

Yes and no. Under an ATrpms install, mythbackend starts as root, and it starts
early enough in the boot process that root's "home" is still /, so
mythbackend looks for a config file in /.mythtv/mysql.txt. That one bit me in
the butt for a little while when I was trying to figure out why my slave
backends kept trying to connect to localhost at boot time, but would connect
fine if I started the backend w/a 'service mythbackend start' after the
system was up -- I manually edited the /root/.mythtv/mysql.txt file with the
master backend's IP, but needed to make the same change in /.mythtv/mysql.txt
to get it to work at boot. These files are automatically created if they
don't exist, and auto-populated with localhost.

> Also the root file has:
>
> cat mysql.txt
> DBHostName=localhost
> DBUserName=mythtv
> DBPassword=mythtv
> DBName=mythconverg
> DBType=QMYSQL3
>
> while the one in the home directory has:
>
> cat mysql.txt
> DBHostName      127.0.0.1

localhost and 127.0.0.1 are almost the same... I think if you have
"localhost", the local socket (/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock) gets used, if you
have 127.0.0.1, a tcp/ip connection is used. I believe "localhost" is
preferred.

> googling shows  a file /etc/mythtv/mysql.txt, which I don't have.

That's only w/mdz Debian packages, I believe.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com

Got a question? Read this first...