[mythtv-users] MythTV Install Documentation

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Mon Feb 28 00:06:36 UTC 2005

On Sunday 27 February 2005 15:59, Brad Templeton wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 27, 2005 at 03:20:55PM -0800, Nav Jagpal wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm in the process of writing a step-by-step install document for MythTV.
> >
> > You can checkout what I have so far by visiting
> > http://silver.cs.uvic.ca/~nav/mythtv/index.xhtml
> >
> > The document itself is written in DocBook, so the appearance can be
> > changed easily using stylesheets.
> >
> > I would appreciate any feedback/advice etc. Also, if anyone wants to
> > help, that would be great!
> >
> > If you skim the document, you'll see that I am targetting PVR-250. If
> > anyone wants to add sections for other tuner cards, that would be
> > great too.
>
> An unusual set of hardware requirements then.  With the pvr-250, myth
> seems to run fine on as slow as a 600mhz celeron, possibly even slower.
>
> Buying a pc to tv converter is also odd advice, since video cards
> with tv-out are cheap and plentiful.
>
> A PCI sound card isn't needed, onboard often works just fine.
>
> Ethernet isn't strictly needed, dial-up connection is fine except for
> downloading the software will take a while.

Sorry, forgot to include this part in my previous message in this thread.
Yeah, your hardware "requirements" are a little off-kilter. You definitely
don't need that much processing power with a PVR-250 (I've successfully used
an Athlon 800 for the setup you outline), the converter certainly isn't a
required item, and one of my boxes uses the onboard sound card without a
problem. No comment on dial-up vs. Ethernet. :-)

> I think I would focus on the different common classes of Myth installation:
>
>     a) Turn an old, slow box into an SDTV mythbox.   Soon, the pvr-150 will
>         be the recommended way to do that.
>
>     b) Build an high-power HD mythbox with new equipment
>         (2.8ghz range recommended)
>
>     c) Build a decent performance SD mythbox using previous generation
>       processors (1.5 to 2ghz) or better, and if sitting around, with
>       cheap raw capture card rather than pvr-x50.

It does seem the mythtv lists get hit constantly with "will this hardware let
me do this" questions. Though most of them can be answered by simply reading
the documentation, more details on these specific classes could definitely be
of interest.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com