[mythtv-users] MythTV Install Documentation

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Mon Feb 28 06:42:59 UTC 2005

On Mon, Feb 28, 2005 at 11:18:00AM +0900, David Bennett wrote:
> Pretty interesting so far but my question is what about those of us
> that are going to buy a system specifically for the purpose of setting
> up a myth box.
>
> The documentation does not make this clear and I am still not sure
> what I should get!!
>
> - Is a hauppage decoder necessary???
> - with a fast enough processor can I use any TV capture card? (ANY???)
> - am i going to run into linux driver problems with "any-ol" tv capture card?
> - What would you guys recommend for a good Myth System at a good price?
>
> (be careful! based on what you guys recommend, I am going to go out
> and buy it! so be kind.)

It depends on your goal?  You want to do HD?  That's very different
requirements from SD.   Any system you would go out and buy today is
probably overkill for SD, better to turn your old system into the myth
box and buy a new computer for yourself.

If you want to buy something today for SD, buy the slowest thing they
make today (which is about a 2000 sempron), or get some fancy new case
like a pundit, or SFF computer.

You don't need the wintv-pvr or similar with your 2ghz class machine,
if you are trying to save bucks, but the big reason to get it is no
matter what the speed of your machine, with the hardware encoder, high
cpu load will not interfere with your recordings.