[mythtv-users] Hauppage 350 .nuv to mpeg-2

Cory Papenfuss papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu
Mon Feb 28 12:55:38 UTC 2005

 	OK... I'll bite.  Grrrr!

>> You need an MPEG2 codec.  Nothing more.
>

> Then what's this? http://dsmyth.sourceforge.net/

 	Common misconception with Mythtv.  The *original* captures were
from bttv-based cards and were compressed in a slightly modified
nupplevideo format... the .nuv.  The dsmyth filters allow Winders to play
those files.
 	When using a PVR-350 or equivalent, the *card* does the
compression into MPEG-2 format, but MythTV still names them as .nuv.

> Compared to the original, what else?  Plays back fine in Mythtv as a .nuv.
> Change the extension and try to play back through the mpg-2 codec and it
> looks like crap.  I don't know what more information I can give unless you
> want to come over and look at it yourself.

 	Ummm... NO.  Changing a filename extension does not a different
file make.  If the playback quality is different while playing the same
file, then the playback decoder is the difference... not the flippin'
filename extension!

 	Possible explanations between different playback utilities
include, but are not limited to:
- Different MPEG2 decoding engines (ffmpeg vs. libmpeg2 vs. some
broke-dick Winders player, etc)
- Different Hue/Sat/Brightness/Gamma between players.  Maybe the card has
a borked setting for the recording that you've adjusted out with MythTV.
- Realtime filtering (denoising, deinterlacing, etc)

-Cory