[mythtv-users] mplayer options when xvideo fails

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Mon Feb 28 16:21:34 UTC 2005

On Saturday 26 February 2005 10:00, kedlm at charter.net wrote:
> I still can't get my ATI 9800 to use xvideo at over about 1024
> resolutions; so I can't watch HD shows in myth with xv on. (1920 and
> 1280 both fail with the insufficient resources issue)
>
> Currently if I run myth with NO_XV it does display.  But the
> video/audio hiccup and I can't set the aspect ratio correctly.
>
> Here is my current solution; run mplayer with no xvideo and use the
> software scalar; maybe this will help someone:
>
> mplayer /video/store/1012_20050224210000_20050224220000.nuv -sws 2
> -zoom -xy 1024 -vo x11 -fs
>
> This loads my machine about 40-50%. (with 1920x1080i)
>
> I'll poke around and see if I can fix the myth issues:
> 1) playback is jerky with NO_XV and HD streams
> 2) can't get the aspect ratio right (or change it during playback)
>
> In the long run I will buy an HDTV as soon as I figure out which way
> to go getting video to it from my ATI DVI port.
> But for now this allows me to watch HD, just not from the nice myth
> gui.

Ever try one of the other MPlayer output methods?  I've used SDL and
OpenGL in the past with some success.  Try "mplayer -vo help" for a
list.

Also, you could wrap MPlayer in a script that uses XrandR to change the
display resolution to the movie's native resolution on playback, so no
scaling would be required.

-JAC