[mythtv-users] I think mythweb 0.17 is killing mythbackend

stephen mythmail at nb.sympatico.ca
Mon Feb 28 21:40:19 UTC 2005

Niklas Brunlid wrote:

> On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 13:21:19 -0700, Shawn Asmussen
> <shawn.asmussen at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 14:58:34 -0500, Mark J. Scheller <mjs at yoink.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> On Wed, 2005-02-16 at 13:17 +0000, Neil Bird wrote:
>>>  Since upgrading to 0.17 last W/E [ATrpms], mythbackend has died
>>
>> without
>>
>>> logs twice. Both times, I'd been fiddling around in mythweb
>>
>> looking at
>>
>>> recorded items & schedules shortly beforehand.
>>

>>  *May* not be related, just
>>
>>> very suspicious. I'll check over the W/E
>>
>> when I'm not worried about losing
>>
>>> the backend to see if I can trigger
>>
>> it, but in the meantime, anyone else
>>
>>> seen anything like this recently?
>>> Yup, any time I use mythweb and then a recording starts later,
>>> mythbackend
>>> croaks.  This is since I upgraded to 0.17 and with either the
>>> 2.6.9-1.681_FC3 kernel or 2.6.10-1.766_FC3 kernel.  By avoiding all
>>> access
>>> via mythweb it's been rock solid for many days on end (2.6.9-1.681_FC3
>>> kernel -- just did the upgrade to the latest one and we'll see how
>>> it  goes).
>>>
>>> So you're not alone.....
>>>

>> I've noticed issues with the 0.17 mythweb also. My mythbackend has
>> died on two separate occasions when I deleted a recording through
>> mythweb. I've pretty much stopped using mythweb altogether to keep my
>> system stable.
>

> I have exactly the same situation... had it on my Myth box (combined
> backend/frontend) both when it was running Gentoo and I upgraded from
> 0.16, and right now when I'm running FC3 installed using Jarod's guide
> last week.
>
> My mythweb still runs on another server (used that as a file server and
> netbooted the Myth box before), but everything else runs on the Myth box.
>
> / Niklas

I've seen my mythbackend die on a couple different occasions as well.  I
use mythweb (installed on a separate box from any of my mythtv
machines), but I'm not sure if it is the sole cause.  If I delete a
recording from a frontend (i.e. from the "Watch Recordings" section
after viewing one), sometimes the master backend seems to just "go
away".  I have the mythbackend process set to log "all", but there is no
indication of a problem.

Regarding mythweb, I think that it is one of the great features/plugins
of MythTV -- I use it to do all my scheduling.  However, I've noticed
that the backend died on a couple of occasions while both scheduling and
deleting recordings from mythweb.  Again, nothing in the log file to
indicate a problem.

All myth boxes are running Gentoo (2.6.10-gentoo-dev-sources-r7), and
mythweb is running on a modified RedHat (2.4x kernel).

Stephen