[mythtv-users] Multiple Recording Directories

Rudy Zijlstra mythtv at edsons.demon.nl
Sat Jan 1 00:50:54 UTC 2005

Good new year to all!!

Jason Knisley wrote:

>Hi,
>
>   I've searched through the past six months worth of
>old messages and haven't really found a satisfactory
>answer on the issue of multiple recording directories
>(or at least multiple places that "Watch recordings"
>looks for recorded files). I'd like some way of using
>multiple directories for MythTV recordings or finding
>some way of fooling the machine into seeing both
>directories.

Run a backend on your second fileserver. Different backend servers can
have different storage directories and share by myth protocol.

>   Many people suggest using LVM, but I'm using a
>small SCSI array for recording (better record for
>multiple tuners and faster transcode) and I'd like to,
>once everything is nicely recorded and transcoded,
>move the files over to either a Samba share or a large
>ATAPI disk. If I used LVM, it would seem to defeat the
>purpose of having the SCSI array and, quite frankly, I
>just can't afford 500gb worth of Ultra-3 or Ultra160
>drives. I could just record to the Samba share, but
>three streams from a PVR-250 to a Samba share would
>probably do more than completely saturate the
>connection to my file server.

Only if you are using a 10Mb/s connection. Each PVR results in about 5Mb/s.
My master backend / myth file server has 2 PVR-250's, with 2 additional
slave backends / frontends (PVR-350) using the same storage. I've had 4
recordings and a playing going on at the same time with no problem.

Cheers,

Rudy