[mythtv-users] Play Music and ALSA

Thom Sturgill tsturgil at ircc.net
Sun Jan 2 14:15:17 EST 2005

Sorry if this duplicates an older issue, but googling turned up no
information. I have been reading the digest for a couple of weeks and have
seen no pertinent discussion.

I have just built a MythTv box using Jarod Wilson's FC3 guide.
My system is:
   ASUS A7V600-X MB with an Athlon XP 2500+ cpu with 512MB RAM
   40GB HD.(That will change soon)
   nVidia FX 5200 video card using the compoisite out.
   Hauppuage PVR-250 capture board (I also have an older WinTV PCI-PVR
board that I have not been able to get to live peacefully with the 250
- but that's another issue.)

I use a SONY Digital Audio/Video control center to power my surround
sound. I use the composite video out from the 5200 and the spdif-out to
the dvd inputs on the surround sound amp. TV and DVD work fine with XINE
providing the dvd player.

My main problems so far have been along the line of MythTV bailing. Seems
to be a misconfiguration cured by dumping the database and starting over.

My current problem is this - Playing music wants to output to the local
speakers. Is their any way to get it to use ALSA:spdif ?

This may be a short term problem - I am thinking of getting an Xbox and
using it as a front end. This would let me use my other box for browsing
and such when not recording.

--
Thomas Sturgill
Indian River Community College