[mythtv-users] Opinions on my hardware choices for a new PVR

Snoop Baron snoopbaron at gmail.com
Sun Jan 2 20:57:10 EST 2005

Hi Jonathan,

Thanks for your detailed response. It is very helpful :).

>>Antec Overture case -- Should look good in the living room and is
>>supposed to be quiet
>>

>This case passed the "wife" test. There were a few others she liked even better, but
>she would be willing to have one of these in the living room. Antec also makes a cude
>case that would work well in some entertainment centers.

Other than the cube case were some of these others that your wife liked
even better for a standard size ATX motherboard?

>>Hauppauge PVR 350 -- for encoding and decoding
>>
>>On my optional list I have:
>>
>>Hauppauge PVR-250 -- for dual recording
>>

>If you are planning on going out to the onboard video card anyway why spend the
>extra cash on the 350? As far as I know the only way to make use of the onboard
>mpg2 decode is to send the video output through it. I went this route to work around
>the low end cpu on my via, but if I were building a full sized/powered system I would
>spend the money on multiple 250s.

Will the TV output quality be as good as the 350 if I use the on board
integrated graphics?

>>Neatgear 54Mbps wireless card -- streaming video to other PCs?
>>

>I have a friend that claims to be streaming via G wireless to his iBook laptop running
>an OS X ported frontend, so it should work, esp for playback of highly compressed
>video such as saved in mpeg4, but I think even mpeg2 works for at least a single
>stream. I am told the B is a little dicy with mpeg2.

Thanks, this is very useful. I'll definitely be adding a G wireless card.

>>Wireless keyboard and mouse -- For non-PVR uses, games, browsing the
>>web, etc? (Any recommendations?)
>>
>>I considered going with a VIA M1000 but it seems like the software
>>support is not as good and/or trickier to setup. Plus there is less room
>>for expansion and performance might not be that good if I go outside the
>>PVR space (maybe add in some games for my little bro :) ).
>>

>I wouldn't go with this line unless you have a compeling reason, size, space, cost,
>curiosity, etc. I really love the small form factor of my Eden but I am about ready to
>switch to something more powerful and easier to work with. I recently had a drive
>crash and it took my about 3 or 4 days to get the thing back together because of all
>the compiling on a slow box.

Thanks again, this is the sort of thing I needed to know. I'm going to
stick with the ATX :).

>>Well what do you guys think?
>>

>I think your parents will really enjoy it.

Thanks :). I really think they will get a kick out of their new high
tech and useful toy =) I can't wait to start building it!