[mythtv-users] New CVS feature pulls ATSC sub channel info - but...

Doug Larrick doug at ties.org
Mon Jan 3 08:31:22 EST 2005

john roberts wrote:
> I was happy to see the new CVS build now pulls the sub-channels for
> ATSC stations - this is nice!  No more editing the channels to add
> each sub-channel.
>
> But - the naming convention is "26_1" and "26_2" "26_3" etc.  Which
> is fine during the initial discovery - but if you try to rename them
> to "26" and "126" and "226" so you can use a remote (which doesn't
> have the _ mapped to it) it will over-write the names during the next
> mythfilldatabase. :(
>
> Am I missing something here?  Or do I just need to get used to the
> fact my channel names will get over-written and I need to map the "_"
> key to change channels?

This is in fact a problem.  In my initial version of this feature,
mythfilldatabase left the channum alone for existing channels.  But then
someone submitted a patch that updates channum for existing channels
(ATSC or not), and did not take subchannels into account.  I submitted a
patch which does this right for ATSC, but as you've seen this is not
ideal behavior sometimes.

For right now, yes, you'll have to map _ on your remote in order to type
channel numbers in live TV.  I think this is also a misfeature for
people who have multiple providers combined into one MythTV system --
cable and satellite (e.g.) could easily both have a channel 12.

I'd like to hear from the person who submitted the patch to always
update channum (Isaac had lost track of who it is) as to what problem
this is solving, and maybe we can come up with a solution that doesn't
kill people's hand edits.

-Doug