[mythtv-users] Tuning in MythTV: no parameter passed to external tuner script. "Watch Live TV" results in blue screen.

Ed Voncken edrandom at gmail.com
Mon Jan 3 16:44:49 EST 2005

Hi mythical TV-watchers,

After playing with KnoppMyth to no avail, I've set up a Fedora Core 2
box, with ATrpms (excellent BTW!). I'm running MythTV v 0.16.

The box is an AMD Duron 1300, with a Hauppauge PVR-250 hardware encoder.

I'm afraid I'm still running into the same problems as before; your
advice would be appreciated:

1) The MythTV tuning concept apparently only works within the USA

I've found some other postings, recommending a tuner script to emulate
direct frequency entry. The script is indeed executed by MythTV (debug
log entries are made) but nothing is passed to the script (frequency
parameter).

I've tried mythfrontend, setup and mythtvsetup, channel editor. I
cannot seem to find another location to enter the frequency apart from
the edit boxes on the same screen where the tuner script is also
specified.

If I call my script with a frequency (times 16), the tuner works fine
- I tested this using cat /dev/video0

2) "Watch Live TV" results in a blue screen (no, not the Windows one).
Usually I can
    recover by pressing ESC.

Could it be that the PVR-250 is re-set by MythTV to another input (not
being the tuner?)

Is there a way to configure these things?

3) Watching a recorded video also did not work. After quite some
fiddling, I found out
    that 'mplayer' is configured somewhere within MythTV.

For me, removing the "-vo xv" portion of the commandline did the
trick. I can now watch the recorded files using the video player.

--
Gxis!
  Ed.