[mythtv-users] RAID on Fedora Core 3?

Max Waterman davidmaxwaterman at fastmail.co.uk
Mon Jan 3 22:14:41 EST 2005

Blues Guy wrote:
> Max Waterman wrote:
>
>> So, how did *you* stop /dev/md1 disappearing?
>>
>> ...or is it just that you created your devices in fc2 and/or during the
>> install process that makes the difference?
>>
>> Max.
>>
> Honestly, I never had any problem.  And FC2 during install does do some
> "magic".  It takes cares of all the script/startup configuration, and
> dev entries, and symlinks with the /dev/mapper stuff.  It made it
> simple, but that's the bad thing about not doing things from scratch;
> you don't learn all the magic under the covers.

Do you have a /etc/mdadm.conf file? If so, what is in it? Do you use
xfs on it or some other fs? If xfs, did you format that in during
installation - I didn't think you could do that....you used to be able
to use an installer CD from SGI, but I can't find it on their site
any more.

> Have you looked at the RAID and/or LVM howto's at tldp.org?  They might
> have some pearl of wisdom that you're missing...

Well, it is now working for me, so I don't really need to look any more.
However, I did look at the RAID howto and it isn't much help for fc3
raids - it covers more about the old way of doing it (raidtabs etc), and
not much on mdadm....at least, that was my impression.

I will look into LVM though, since people on this list have mentioned
that it will relieve headaches later on - should I want to add a disk
or something.

Thanks.

Max.