[mythtv-users] MythPhone causes mythfrontend to lock??

Jim Kusznir jim at kusznir.net
Tue Jan 4 13:42:28 EST 2005

I tried last night, with CVS (pulled down approx. 1am Tues GMT).  I
never got to end a call with stop, as it always froze before then.  It
is definately working better than the 0.16 release, though.  One time my
local video froze (for the other end as well as mine), but the local
video remained in tact.  I was able to exit and restart only mythphone
to fix this.

I did get some calls as long as 15 min in, but also a lot that were 2-4
min before lockup.  It is still locking up the entire frontend
(requiring a killall mythfrontend to recover from).

I watched top while in a video call.  System load was around 2.1 with X
using approx 30% and mythfrontend using 20%.  The percentages at the top
showed a high "sys" percentage.

I am calling a video station over a thousand miles away.  We both have
cablemodem, but different vendors, so I would suspect the data stream is
not nearly as clean as a local lan.

Oh, and I'm also not using the audio portions; I can't get mythphone to
find/use audio from my soundcard's mic port.  (Using the alsamixer, I
can get my mic looped to the speakers through the mixer, but it seems no
amount of fiddling with capture device and other routing stuff can get
mythphone to find my mic.  I suspect this is a config issue on my end,
as myth appeared to compile using OSS rather than ALSA, and I haven't
found any way to test/tweak the OSS settings explicitly).

Thanks for your support!

If there's any more detals I can provide or anything else I can do, let
me know.  MythPhone is a really useful app!

--Jim