[mythtv-users] Audio Sync when exporting to DVD using Nuvexport

Gary Dawes garydawes at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Jan 4 14:31:27 EST 2005

On Tue, 2005-01-04 at 12:04 -0600, Lane Schwartz wrote:
> On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 12:03:56 -0600, Lane Schwartz <dowobeha at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 16:31:26 +0000, Gary Dawes
> > <garydawes at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> > > Having finally treat myself to a DVD burner for christmas, I have
> > > started exporting shows to DVD, but have found that the audio is ahead
> > > of the video by a small amount.
> > >
> > > I have searched the various wikis, and mailing lists, and have found
> > > various posts about this, but while different people have suggested
> > > different things, none of them have worked for me, and noone else with
> > > the problem has reported that they have solved the problem, and by what
> > > method.
> > >
> > > I'm running knoppmyth, with mythtv 0.16, and the latest versions of
> > > transcode mjpegtools available from apt. I'm also running the latest
> > > nuvexport (27/12).
> > >
> > > I've checked my audio recording settings and they are at 48khz
> > >
> > > I found one snippit of information which suggested running mpeg2desc -m
> > > on the .mpg file to determine the audio offset, and then using that
> > > information to reencode the file.
> > >
> > > Any ideas?
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > >
> > > Gary
> >

> > Gary,
> >
> > I've had this issue, too. In fact you probably ran across some of my
> > earlier posts in your research.
> >
> > The only conclusion that I was able to come to is that there is a bug
> > in some ivtv versions which cause the mpeg files that are recorded to
> > have some flaw in them. I was always able to play the original
> > recordings with no sync issues. It was when I tried the mpg2->mpg2
> > cutting that I hit problems. I also hit the same problems with a
> > manual edit using avidemux and mplex.
> >
> > After spending a good chunk of my Christmas vacation on it, I now have
> > a fully functional Myth box again. I can successfully export
> > recordings with no audio sync issues.
> >
> > While I was debugging, I tried almost everything. I tried multiple
> > versions of avidemux, mjpegtools, even multiple versions of the
> > kernel. I tried ivtv 0.1.9 and 0.1.10 (100zz, I think). I tried FC2,
> > then back to FC1. Nothing worked.
> >
> > Why does it work now? Well, I switched back to FC2. Then I used one of
> > the new 0.2 ivtv drivers. I think that's what did it. I can now
> > successfully export my _new_ recordings.
> >
> > However, when I try to export any of the old recordings, I still get
> > audio sync issues. This fact makes me even more confident that the
> > problem lies in the ivtv driver.
> >
> > I know this is a really frustrating problem. Try the new ivtv drivers
> > and see if that helps. I think they're in atrpms testing, so make sure
> > that's enabled (this is assuming you're running Fedora and using apt).
> >
> > If you'd like I can get you the versions of all of the relevant
> > programs on my functional box.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Lane
> >

> I should point out that I'm using a PVR-250 and am in the U.S.

> [...]

Thanks for the replies.

Oddly enough whilst fiddling about today, I have found out that very
recent recordings are fine, it's just older recordings. All of them have
been recorded on the same version 0.16.

During that time I have converted a couple of files to divx with no
bother.

The box has seen no change in hardware or software, just a couple of
database checks following a power outage.

So I've got no idea why, but the problem has gone away. Very strange.

Thanks

Gary