[mythtv-users] Deafening loud high-pitched chirp noise on skip or jump

Tim Berger tim.berger at gmail.com
Tue Jan 4 16:46:50 EST 2005

On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 07:51:34 -0500, David George <david at thegeorges.us> wrote:
> On 1/2/2005 7:23 PM, Tim Berger wrote:
>
> >I have audio working fine with exception for a very loud high-pitched chirp
> >that sometimes happens when skip or jump is used on recordings or live tv.
> >Enabling extra audio buffering has no effect.
> >
> >1) Please tell me I'm not the only one experiencing this problem.
> >

> You aren't.  Are you using ALSA or OSS?  If you are using ALSA what
> device are you using (e.g. ALSA:spdif)?

I'm on FC3, so I know that alsa is working, but the only available
options seem to be /dev/dsp and /dev/adsp.  I'm using /dev/dsp.  No
spdif.  But i'm getting a shuttle SN41G2BV3 with spdif soon. ;-)

/dev/adsp does not seem to work for me.  I get an I/O error or some
such.  I'm not near my myth box at the moment.  I'll bet i'm missing
something from modprobe.conf.  I'll find out what it is, and try adsp
soon.

When I use mplayer and tell it to use alsa, it seems to use devices
under /dev/snd, not /dev/adsp as far as I can tell.

Thanks for the "big audio update" info.  I'll have to take a look.

Cheers.

> >2) Is there a release, patch, or work-around for this?
> >

> I have this from time-to-time with ALSA:spdif when fast-forwarding or
> rewinding (actually jump forward and jump backward).  It hasn't bothered
> me enough to look at the code and find out what the problem is.  Most
> likely it is some partial data in the soundbuffer when audio is
> paused/unpaused during the fast-forward/rewind.
>
> Actually, now that I think about this, I don't remember hearing this in
> a while.  I am running CVS as of yesterday.  I will try to do some
> ff/rew tonight and see if it still happens.  It may have been fixed with
> the big audio update (search dev list archives for "big audio update").
> --
> David

-Tim