[mythtv-users] cardinputid and physical card/driver inputs link

Nick Morrott pvr at insidethex.co.uk
Tue Jan 4 17:30:24 EST 2005

Is there an obvious (i.e. to a non-developer) relationship between
cardinputid in table cardinput, and the actual inputs available on a capture
card?

For some reason, my mythtv system has suddenly stopped playing both livetv
and recordings, crashing straight back to KDE when either is selected. I
hadn't changed the ivtv driver, but nevertheless downgraded to 0.2.0. and
then back to 0.3.2 with no success to see if that would fix it. I also
checked again that the card was able to display video out of the correct
device (/dev/video16) which it did with no problems.

I am using both a PVR350 (also to drive X), and a Nova-T (the Nova-T still
records from scheduled recordings set up in mythweb with no problem.)

In my cardinput table, I have:

Nova-T DVBInput: cardid=1, sourceid=1 and cardinputid=1
PVR350 Tuner 0: cardid=2, sourceid=2 and cardinputid=5
PVR350 Composite 0: cardid=2, sourceid=3 and cardinputid=8 <-- (this is
where my confusion starts)

Before the playback problems started, the PVR350 card was the first to play
in livetv and I could swap between its inputs with no problem. After
changing my cabling (from S-video 0 on the 350) so I have a direct
connection from the composite-out of the cable box and changing the
inputname in mythtvsetup to the composite connection, things no longer work.
(Other gremlins may be involved obviously).

What I guess I need to understand is how cardinputid is used in mythtv and
whether it's current setting (8) is causing the problem (I see the field is
set to auto-increment so it may have got to 8 just by changing it several
times). When using ivtvctl to set the correct input, I use input 0
(Composite-0) so was wondering whether it needs to be setup to this value
(or 1 if using a 1-based list) or something else. I am worried that changing
this here my cause something else to fail in the future, but don't want to
have to start over with the database if I can help it.

Due to the fact that the Tuner is set to cardinputid=5, it makes me wonder
whether it should be tied to the correct ivtv input somehow.

(For any 350/Nova users out there) Am I right in thinking it is possible to
show livetv on the dvb card when running X on the 350's output? I've never
seen it, although the system broke before I was told about the Y key.

Cheers,

Nick