[mythtv] [mythtv-users] question

Byron Williams williamsbyron at bellsouth.net
Tue Jan 4 21:53:12 EST 2005

1)Can Mythtv go higher than 125?

2.)Do you have to have the cable box / satelite reciever  set up, turned on
and tuned to that channel that you wish to record, like a timed VCR or not?

3) I  seem to be confused as to which operating system is preferred to be
used.  I think I saw Debian but it was unstable?  I don't know linux yet,
but I am willing to give it a try to make this all work.

3b)Is there an updated requirements page?  Shopping list?? I am willing to
spend some (not a ton) money to get the proper(prefered-by most ) video card
(and min processor, memory, HD) for the mythtv to work.  It seems like it
would be just as expensive or cheaper than paying for tivo to build one
myself.

All responses are greatly appreciated.

1)       The tuner not MythTV will determine the number of channels, but I
doubt there are many that go above 125. It is really irrelevant thought
because in response to #2 yes you will have to treat it like a timed VCR.
The channels are coming over encrypted and the cable/sat box has to decrypt
them, so you tune the cable box to the channel and send the decrypted stream
to the MythTV box.

2)       See one

3)       I'm new to MythTV so I can't help here.