[mythtv-users] Setting up MythTV in a wierd way ...

Poul Petersen petersp at mail.alleft.com
Wed Jan 5 20:38:15 EST 2005

	If I understand what you are shooting for then the
good soultion would be a SAN with a shared filesystem, OpenGFS
for example. It might look something like:

-----                         ------------        /{Fe1}
|MBe|---{SAN Array/OpenGFS}---|NFS Server|---{LAN}-{Fe2}
-----                         ------------        \{Fe3} etc

	The advantage here is that the MBe need do nothing
but record the shows to the SAN (well, and handle the DB,
though you could put the MySQL DB on the NFS Server as well).
Meanwhile, the NFS Server can read the shows off of the SAN
without impacting the system I/O of the MBe. The Frontends
will all spool off of the NFS Server (provided of course
that you use NFS mounts and don't let mythtv stream from
the MBe).

	Ideally though what you would want to do for
maximum performance is this:

{SBe/Fe1}\                         /{SBe/Fe3}
          ---{SAN Array/OpenGFS}---
{Sbe/Fe2}/                         \{MBe}

	In this case, the Frontends are all Slave backends
and each has one capture card. The MBe may have one capture
card or none. In this configuration, each Fe will simply use
whatever capture device is available. And LiveTV will use the
local device if it is free. All of the Be's will record and
read from the SAN disk without impacting any other system's I/O.
This solution will scale very nicely to the limit of your
SAN hardware.

	Yup, serious overkill. Cool, but overkill.

-poul