[mythtv-users] Has anyone configured a "semi"-diskless frontend?

Kevin Kuphal kuphal at dls.net
Thu Jan 6 19:11:22 EST 2005

stan wrote:

>On Thu, Jan 06, 2005 at 01:28:14PM -0600, Ryan A. Carris wrote:
>

>>On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 15:57:41 -0600, Robert Kulagowski <bob at smalltime.com> wrote:
>>

>>>I have a number of frontends, each with local storage.  I have a master
>>>backend which is already serving as a DHCP / TFTP / NFS server to a
>>>MediaMVP and my frontends.
>>>
>>>What I'd like to do is take my existing frontends (one a Debian
>>>unstable, one a FC2) and set them up as semi-diskless; boot off the
>>>local storage, then switch to using NFS for everything else, at which
>>>point I can spin-down the local hard drive, reducing noise.
>>>
>>>I'm not really interested in a complete diskless system, and the various
>>>HOWTO's that I've seen pretty much revolve around netbooting / PXE.
>>>
>>>Has anyone already done something similar?
>>>

>>I must misunderstand your question, it seems to easy.
>>Knoppmyth will boot a frontend setup off of the CD, and then connect
>>to your backend.   http://www.mysettopbox.tv/doc.html#frontend
>>
>>I experimented with Knoppymyth recently.  I was really impressed with
>>it.  It worked out of the box, and had just about everything that my
>>system needed.
>>

>But KnoppMyth won't autoboot off the CD, it requires that you put
>in some paramters. Also a true diskless system will not require a
>CD drive at all, and using a CD to run your system will use up the CD
>drive pretty quickly.

It'd sure be nice if there was a way for a mythfrontend to discover all
the settings needed on a network.  Something like
Rendevous/ZeroConf/UPnP.  Does anyone who runs KnoppMyth in this way
know what all the settings are that are asked for on boot?  Is it just
the address of the master backend or are there more?

Kevin