[mythtv-users] Gentoo and CVS

Jim Kusznir jim at kusznir.net
Fri Jan 7 01:52:17 EST 2005

My gentoo installation was quite easy, actually.  I found two different
gentoo howto's and kinda mixed and matched to make my install.  For
example, one of the howtos suggested using the love-sources kernel
packages, which turned out to be (imo) unnecessary and a waste of
effort.  I basically set up a base gentoo install with the end purpose
in mind (myth), and chose use flags and packages approprately.  The
biggest potential quesiton/gotcha I recall was having to set a special
envirnment variable for LIRC so it built with the correct driver.  IIRC,
after emerging it the first time, it tells you about it in the
post-emerge notes.

Anyway, I do highly recommend gentoo (espicially after some of the stuff
I've heard on #myth-users about compiling and dependancy nightmares with
Fedora).

--Jim