[mythtv-users] ivtv, MythTV and DVDs

Cory Papenfuss papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu
Fri Jan 7 10:43:02 EST 2005

 	There are a few issues with this for someone cursed with
perfectionism as I am:

> Try nuvexport and dvdstyler:
 	I use the former to export .sql and .nuv, and find qdvdauthor less
flaky than the latter.

> I did a lot of reading of those howtos and found that they are all a
> lot more complicated than they should be. I wanted something where I
> didn't have to type every option to every command by hand.
 	Agreed.  Especially for something as ugly as transcoding and
making DVD's with menus.  The GUIs for making menus on DVDs have come a
fair bit in the past year.

> I used nuvexport with all the default options, set it to "DVD" and
> just hit go. It chugged for a few hours and gave me a .mpg.
 	In general, I'd rather not re-encode the video.  It's a "digital
generation loss," and seems to exacerbate any A/V sync problems.  If I
*do* transcode, it's generally for the purpose of resizing or trying to
get better quality/bitrate with a 2-pass, denoised encode.  The
"one-button" method doesn't give quite enough tweaking parameters to do
that.

> I then started up dvdstyler, and with a little drag and drop, made my
> first sucessful dvd last night, complete with menus and background
> images. (The first three episodes of Comedy Central's Drawn Together).
>
> - Jeff

 	Great... it usually works without a hitch.  When there are hiccups
in the stream, lots of programs in the chain that's used to produce the
result break.  For the most part, the GUIs are just wrappers to the
backend and work fine when the stream's perfect.  If there's a bad audio
frame, the muxer dies.  If the PTS changes in the middle, the sync gets
off... lots of badness can happen.

 	I've done a bit of searching for some "cleaner" apps, but haven't
found TheOne yet.  There's a fair bit of extraneous gunk/padding/resyncing
in the ivtv mpg streams as captured from the card.  For burning directly
to DVD, it'd be nice to get rid of it.  Re-encoding often fixes, but masks
the problem at the expense of quality loss and considerable computation.

 	To each their own... :)

-Cory