[mythtv-users] Re: mythtv-users Digest, Vol 24, Issue 34

Mark Lehrer mark at knm.org
Fri Jan 7 17:40:15 EST 2005

I just picked up some new hardware to do Myth-HD. I hate closed source
drivers so I'm trying to stick with open source but I haven't had much
luck so far - Xv is broken just about everywhere (including the binary
Nvidia drivers I tried with my MX 400)

Currently I have:
Asus P4P800-VM.  Socket 478, integrated i865G and LAN, and S/PDIF.
Celeron 2.4 GHz
Single 256M memory stick.
PCHDTV HD2000.
Sampo 34whd5 TV - it has a VGA input that can do horizsync 31-52!

Unfortunately the i8xx driver can't do modelines! I can't even being
to describe how upsetting this is. It is possible to hack modelines
into their BIOS somehow, (look for 855resolution, not 865 compatible
yet) I might play with that someday soon.

In the mean time I got a Radeon 9200, but Xv doesn't work properly at
either 720p or 1080i. mplayer -vo x11 looks absolutely beautiful at
both resolutions, but at like 2 frames per second. A faster CPU and
taking advantage of dual memory sticks would undoubtedly help,
especially with Xv too.

I grabbed the X source, I'll see if I can get the xv problem fixed
some time this year. If anyone here has worked with Xv before, please
contact me.

Mark