[mythtv-users] Re: Tearing in playback

Doug Larrick doug at ties.org
Fri Jan 7 19:45:44 EST 2005

William Uther wrote:
> Quick question: how does RTC sync work?
>
> RTC stands for Real Time Clock, right?
> I assume that the frequency has to be higher than the total number of
> horizontal lines in your X modeline.  If myth then got a known sync
> signal at any point in the image display it could use that to find the
> blacking period.  Do you know at what point in the frame the sync signal
> is sent and how myth gets it?

Actually, the RTC vsync method is not one that synchronizes to the
vertical retrace... you have to use /dev/nvidia0, OpenGL, or DRI for
that.  It simply uses the programmable interrupt timer to sleep for an
accurate delay until it's time to display the next frame.  That said, it
uses less CPU than "usleep with busy wait," so you are more likely to
get accurate frame timing.  There's still a possibility of tearing, but
it will most likely either consistently be OK, or consistently tear (at
which point you'll probably get fed up and start playback over).

-Doug