[mythtv-users] OT: Can IDE and SCSI mix?

Greg Mitchell greg at nodecam.com
Sat Jan 8 01:25:41 EST 2005

>>While browsing HP documentation I came across a note that stated that
>>Linux only supports SATA or SCSI - not both at the same time. IIRC,
>>the note was regarding RH9, so it may be out of date. I'll be using
>>FC2 or FC3.

> Heh - that's some serious FUD being put out there by HP... my slave
> backend as 1 IDE DVD-ROM, 3*IDE hard drives, and is directly connected
> to a 12*36GB SCSI Sun Diskpack.  About 800GB in total and it works just
> fine...

I could see SATA and SCSI having problems coexisting, since Linux seems
to treat SATA and SCSI similarly.  At least in Gentoo, my SATA drive
comes up as /dev/sd0.

Note that I'm not saying it's impossible to run SATA and SCSI, just that
it wouldn't surprise me that there might be problems.

As was mentioned previously, SATA and IDE are different beasts.

FWIW, the end result is the same, don't worry about IDE and SCSI
coexistence, they should be just fine.

Greg