[mythtv-users] PVR 250 vs 350 vs no hardware encoding; Dolby audio

Robert Denier denier at umr.edu
Sat Jan 8 05:37:29 EST 2005

I picked up an x-pert tv-pvr by v-stream on newegg

TV TUNER KWRLD CAPTR VS-TV878RF (Qty=1,Price=$36.50)

It seems to allow mpeg4 encoding and playing back on athlon 2500 systems
although I think if you turn the settings way up, you get a little slow
down.  I probably need to switch away from reiserfs as per the
recomendations eventually. (kernel 2.6.10)

These cards seem to have a bit of area digitalized that doesn't have
picture when connected to my dish network receiver.  This is nothing
new.  I got the same results when I used ati all in wonder cards in
windows so I don't think its a fault of the card.

One possible advantage of recording directly in mpeg4 is if you can
avoid transcoding it later when you make the final copy.  I don't know
if thats possible.  Of course the mpeg4 versions will take up less disk
space, but the mpeg2 versions will likely be a little sharper in the
short term.  (Mpeg2 was last I looked a little sharper than mpeg4 when
data rates aren't an issue, but that may have changed.  It was a close
thing anyway.)

Afaik with the Hauppage cards that do mpeg encoding in hardware and feed
the stream as needed, so you don't use any cpu time.

What I would really like that will _NEVER_ happen is a dish network
receiver that works directly with myth and allows the decrypted mpeg2
signal from the satellite to be used directly.  That way there is no
further loss until transcoding occurs.

What I would eventually like to see is a lossless codec available for
the recording process like huffuv.  (There may be something better, but
the main thing is for it to be lossless.)  That way you could set the
device to record using that and then transcode to the final form using
as agressive of encoding options as you wanted.  (Afaik huffuv is
basically motion jpeg with the error encoded with huffman encoding.)
With that kind of approach you could, theoretically get better results
than encoding to mpeg2 first with a hardware card, but those results
come at the cost of a lot of disk space, at least for a little while.
Note, that this kind of codec would likely be too bandwidth intensive to
work across a network unless you had gigabit networking.

I'm not sure about the rest.  You really need someones opinion that has
compared these side by side.  The quality of the electronics involved
can sometimes have  a non trivial impact

-Robert