[mythtv-users] shuttle + 2nd video card

Adam Felson a.f.6 at pobox.com
Sat Jan 8 16:51:28 EST 2005

On Fri, 2005-01-07 at 16:27 +0000, Joel Merrick wrote:
> In the living/family/bed room I'd have a VIA (epia) based board with
> mpeg hardware decompression, possibly booting the device from a
> microdrive or compact flash, I'd also choose a nice looking, slimline
> and QUIET case. I'd run this as the frontend either over plain cat 5e or
> over 802.11g.
>
> This will be my next project..

There's the m6000, but it hasn't enough CPU to play mpeg4s.  I have a
morex 3688 and it was loud enough to hear 20' away.  I put a 68ohm
resistor in series with the fan and it is tolerable.  Behind doors in a
cabinet it'll be fine.  The casetronic C134 also has a fan.

I've seen two fanless itx cases, one with a massive heatsink on the side
and another with the case top open (grill).

The shuttle is almost dead quiet, doesn't limit you to the via
processors.  I didn't go with simply because I didn't like the looks and
didn't want anything with a floppy drive bay.

--
Adam Felson <a.f.6 at pobox.com>