[mythtv-users] ALSA and intel8x0

Robert Denier denier at umr.edu
Sat Jan 8 20:54:49 EST 2005

Well if its similar to setting up the nforce II board I have for digital
output (It uses the same driver) then i'd try something like

mplayer -ao alsa1x:spdif filename.mp3

and if you get sound out the digital port then all is well.  If not I'd
suggest making sure you have a current alsa and try getting rid of
(renaming) your .asoundrc or /etc/asound.conf and restarting alsa and
trying again.

I never have got asound.conf to do what I want, which is to get things
sent to /dev/dsp to actually reach the digital output.  I've tried
several recomended files, but well none of them work for me.

On the bride side if the previous works then just use ALSA:spdif in
mythtv.  Other options you can try are ALSA:hw0,1 ALSA:hw0,2 ALSA:iec958
(I'm doing these from memory so hopefully everything is correct.)

Good luck.

-Robert

p.s. This method of selecting ALSA doesn't seem to be supported by
mythmusic yet.