[mythtv-users] MythTV on XBox

nowhere nowhere at cox.net
Mon Jan 10 01:22:20 EST 2005

> I've used xbmc for a while, and it works very well.
> There's even work going on in the xbmx forums for a python script that
> can be used as a (limited) MythTV front-end.
> It allows one to schedule recordings, browse existing recordings, and
> even view them, as long as their in myth's mpeg2 format. (no mplayer
> support for the mpeg1 and mpeg4 myth formats, unfortunately.)
> And lately, people have even been working on getting live tv working!
> (with the same mpeg2 caveat, so I haven't seen this...)
>
> have fun,
>
> Wouter

This does sound interesting. How much should I expect to fork out? Seems
like about $100 for an Xbox + $50 for a mod chip, then some solder time
or about $250 for a modded system and whatever I want to pay for a
bigger hard drive yah?

How does the xbmc handle power down? Just punch the power button? Does
it support a remote? Couldn't really tell from the xbmc site (although I
haven't spent a ton of time reading it yet :P) Do I need to buy some
kind of DVD kit for the xbox? I do remember seeing a bunch of JP1 talk
there. Something else I would have to learn...

Sorry to keep this OT on the list but seems there are a couple of people
interested :)

And again, I want this to store a pile of Divx encode DVD movies and
play them. If the Xbox still functions as an Xbox then BONUS!

Thanks again everyone!
Eric