[mythtv-users] Mobile Myth Suggestions

Andrew Close aclose at gmail.com
Mon Jan 10 11:23:18 EST 2005

On Sun, 9 Jan 2005 10:04:47 -0700, nowhere <nowhere at cox.net> wrote:

</snip>

>  If the Xbox is
> capable of decoding MPEG-4 (ie DivX/Xvid) ok and I am able to load linux
> without removing the ablility to play games that seems to be ideal (the
> van has game controller jacks at each of the back seats too...)

i'm not sure if it's able to decode MPEG-4, but i'm pretty sure it can.
yes you can load Linux and still be able to play original games.  i
did just that this weekend. :)

> Anyway, if the Xbox turns out to be too much of a pain, then I need to
> go a little cheaper ($300?)

it's not too bad to set up.  i believe there are ways to set it up
without using a mod-chip that has to be soldered in.  but soldering in
the chip isn't too bad.  just read lot's of forums and take your time.
once you get Linux on the box you can use an external USB drive to
hold your videos.  that allows you to transfer whatever content you
wnat from your Myth-BE and then take the video drive with you.  the
USB drive just hooks up through one of the game controllers.
i'm not sure how the heat of Pheonix would affect the XBox in your
van.  i'm sure ppl own XBox's in Pheonix, and i'm guessing you have
a/c in your van...
you could always swap a larger fan for the one in the XBox, or add
more ventilation.  and lastly for power loss.  i bet you could rig up
a ups to charge/run off your cigarette lighter. :)  then you'd have
clean power and notification before the power cuts off.
sounds like a fun project.  maybe i'll have to go buy a conversion van. ;)

ac