[mythtv-users] Re: Is this a memory leak?

Michael J. Lynch mlynch at gcom.com
Tue Jan 11 10:57:48 EST 2005

Except from whitepaper:

This poses a problem for anyone wanting to use Linux as a communications
server handling a large number of connections or queueing a large number
of messages.  The reason is that calling the kernel memory allocator
from a STREAMS driver will not cause disk buffers to be released to
satisfy the allocation request.  Thus, if memory is nearly full of disk
buffers and the like there is only a small amount of memory left for
control blocks and messages.

This means that an application that manages a large number of
connections or sends a large number of messages, or both, can run fine
if started just after a reboot, but will fail due to memory allocation
failures when started later once memory has been committed to disk
buffers and other cached items.

Simon Kenyon wrote:

>On Tuesday 11 January 2005 13:10, Michael J. Lynch wrote:
>

>>I don't know if this has anything to do with what you are seeing but
>>recently I had occasion to look at the disk caching code for linux and
>>it turns out that linux will  use ALL available memory for disk cache
>>and only release it back to the system under very specific circumstances.
>>

>what else should it do with it - leave it unused? that would be a waste
>--
>simon

Michael J. Lynch

What if the hokey pokey IS what it's all about -- author unknown