[mythtv-users] Installing MythTV from ATrpms.

clemens at dwf.com clemens at dwf.com
Tue Jan 11 12:25:59 EST 2005

Ive been trying to get MythTV running now for about 3months, and
with little/no success.

I CAN see video if I use ptune/mplayer, so I have to assume my
kernel and kernel drivers are ok, its just MythTV itself that
seems to be the problem.

I have been compiling from CVS every few days, and the last version
that worked at all was from the week before Christmas.  I decided
to try the ATrpms (again) and I have had the same problem with trying
to install them this time as I did before.

So, heres what I have, and heres what Ive done.  Why does this work
for other people and not me???

First Hardware: 3.2GHz Pentium 4, pcHDTV card, PVR-250 card, SB Live! 5.1.
1GB Memory... That should be everything relevant.  I partitioned 4 x 6GB
Partitions on the front of my disk, so I can have several experiments
going at the same time.  At present, Partition 1: compiled MythTV fromCVS,
Partition 2: try from ATrpms.

OK, (1) Loaded Fedora 2 to Partition 2 of disk
    (2) Updated Fedora 2 (with apt-get) from local repository to current.

    (3) got MythTV Kickstart, viz
	mozilla http:// ATrpms.net/name/atrpms-kickstart/
	for Fedora 2.

    (4) ran
	rpm -Uhv atrpms-kickstart*

    (5) ran
	apt-get update
	apt-get dist-upgrade
	apt-get update

	apt-get install mythtv-suite

This gives you everything(?) but the drivers, and thats the current problem.
Im TRYING to follow the instructions, but...

The instructions say
    Check ATRPMS for the drivers you need.

I click the button, and get to the site, I look under bttv and ivtv, and
pull the most recent (3) rpms.

I try to install these rpms, and rpm comes back with a long list of things
that they depend on...

Is there some way to tell either apt-get or rpm that I have these three
rpms locally, and please satisfy dependancies from the sites in my
sources.list?
(I dont see such an option, it may be there).

As an alternative, I tried saying

    apt-get install ivtv bttv

and it downloaded 40-50 rpms, but none of them were the kernel modules that
I needed and trying to use rpm to install the three files I have still gives
a list of undefined externals.

So, If Im trying to follow the instructions (and not just use --nodeps and
try to fix it later) what do I do ????

--
                                        Reg.Clemens
                                        reg at dwf.com