[mythtv-users] scratchy sound troubleshooting

Kevin Brouelette kevin1a at varlog.net
Tue Jan 11 23:50:50 EST 2005

Hi

I have mythtv 0.16 running on Fedora3/Alsa with my onboard sound card
SiS SI7012.  I had no sound problems watching or recording TV.
I changed out the Win-TV [bttv w/ FM radio and IR] to a Win-TV-Go card.
Since mythv only needs to connect to my cable TV, I use the better card
in another system for my camera server [zoneminder.com] and the cheaper
'Go' capture card for Mythtv.  [The 'Go' was < $19 incl shipping on
ebay].

Now my 'watch tv' sound is really scratchy.
xawtv and 'tvtime' are fine so I think the card is ok.
Recorded shows are also scratchy.
I did the troubleshooting suggested in the documentation:
a] run xawtv and mute the sound
b] run 'aplay /dev/dsp'

I don't here the delayed tv sound but I do hear raw scratchy noise.
So, the scratchy is coming from /dev/dsp [??]
I've been changing settings in alsamixer but I haven't resolved
the problem yet.

Any help is most grateful,
TIA

Kevin B