[mythtv-users] OT: NTP does not seem to be updating...

Michael J. Lynch mlynch at gcom.com
Wed Jan 12 08:51:00 EST 2005

I don't think this is a specific kernel problem because I have the same
thing
happening with an FC1 (2.4 kernel) machine.  Identical problem, ntpd is
running, but clock does not get adjusted until I either reboot or
restart ntpd.

Ian Campbell wrote:

>On Wed, 2005-01-12 at 00:27 -0700, nowhere wrote:
>

>>My mythbox's clock is drifting and it seems that ntp is not updating
>>the clock. There are no messages whatsoever in /var/log/messages for
>>ntp.
>>

>I've seen this over the last couple of days, missed the end of several
>films because of it :-(. It appears to be a problem with the 2.6.10
>kernel since downgrading to 2.6.9 solved the problem.
>
>There have been a couple of threads on linux-kernel but nothing
>conclusive so far as I can tell
>http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=110414701624856&w=2
>http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=110217676010185&w=2
>and possibly
>http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=110306288417182&w=2
>(although I don't use USB so I'm not sure)
>
>Someone suggested using tickadj to change the kernels tick time, so I
>installed adjtimex and ran adjtimexconfig which figures out the correct
>adjustment and sets everything up to be configured on boot (at least on
>Debian) and the clock is now holding the time OK even on 2.6.10. You
>could also probably just fiddle by hand using tickadj until the time
>seems ok. I guess it'll need to be redone/removed when the kernel is
>fixed.
>
>Ian.

Michael J. Lynch

What if the hokey pokey IS what it's all about -- author unknown