[mythtv-users] OT: NTP does not seem to be updating...

Jeff Simpson llcooljeff at gmail.com
Wed Jan 12 13:31:11 EST 2005

I spent close to 2 weeks debugging time drift problems and tried
*everything*. The problem turned out to be a harddrive that was not
using DMA transfers.

run "hdparm /dev/hdX" on any/all drives that you are using and make
sure none of them say:

using_dma    =  0 (off)

My problem was that I had onboard RAID that I was using as 4 IDE
channels. Two of them were VIA and the other two Promise. I only had
the Promise driver in the kernel, so drives that were connected to the
VIA channels were running without DMA support. Once I added that
driver, I was gold.

Hope this helps!

 - Jeff

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 13:09:58 -0500, nowhere at cox.net <nowhere at cox.net> wrote:
> > From: Justin Walther <justin.walther at gmail.com>
> > Date: 2005/01/12 Wed AM 09:55:54 EST
> > To: Discussion about mythtv <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
> > Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] OT: NTP does not seem to be updating...
> >
> > This is being caused by SELINUX crap.  Go into /etc/selinux/config and
> > make sure this line is in there:
> >
> > SELINUX=disabled
> >
> > Reboot and syslogging will start working and NTP will start updating again.
> >
> > --Justin
> >
> Thanks Justin,
>
> I will check this when I get home.
>
> Just to clarify for everyone else: ntpd is running, and when it actually TRIES to update the time, the syslogging is fine. It just seems that it isn't trying to update the time. When I /sbin/service ntpd restart, the time IS updated correctly and the update is logged correctly.
>
> I will post again after I try tonight...
>
> Eric

email me if you want a gmail invite, I have some invites